Thursday, October 25, 2007

Potluck and Potbelly

Yesterday I was supposed to go to dinner with some friends in Canary Wharf so that we could check out that part of town. Apparently that is where the tallest buildings in Englad are. Unfortunately, they all bailed out because some were sick, some were stuck working, etc. Luckily, however, I was invited to a friend's potluck at her flat the next tower over. So, I picked up some stuff on my way home and made vegetarian couscous to bring. I went over and hung out for a while before dinner. I was talking with some of the guys about the Dolphins game this Sunday in London. Tickets have been sold out for a while, apparently, so I guess none of us are going unless there is a last-minute miracle!

The food was delicious. The girl who invited me is also vegetarian, so she made mushroom risotto, which was awesome, as was the salad with strawberries and walnuts. The meat eaters also had a roast, which they all seemed to enjoy. My veggie friend Sherry also made a scruptious pumpkin pie.

Oh, Esther! If you are reading this--one of the interns is from St. Lucia. He asked what your name was, but I couldn't remember your maiden name. Is the island really that small that you might know everyone?

So, after eating such a feast, I was so happy to join the gym today. It is a really nice gym only about a half mile up the road called Fitness First. I really need to start working out like crazy to lose this potbelly of mine! I only have 2 months before I will most likely be vising Roman in Hawaii and wearing a 'bathing costume', as the Brits like to call it.

Oh, some more word differences that I have come across:
American Word / British Equivalent
Intersection = Crossroads
Pharmacist = Chemist
Bangs = Fringe
Potluck = (no British equivalent)
***The all important ones that I keep screwing up:
Pants = Trousers
Underwear = Pants

and my mind is drawing a blank now...I will think of more another time.

BTW, does anyone have any ideas for a cheap, last minute costume???

Goodnight!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, So when are you and Roman going to Hawaii?? That is awesome, and I'm sure you look gorgeous! I keep checking IM but you are never there...I miss you!